Since this was supposed to be Thursday’s blog but somehow half of it decided to erase itself while I was coaching, I decided to retype it and use it for today….Maybe you will just get a Saturday Stolen post instead of Friday….
Following the theme of our upcoming pointless holiday, we are going to look at the skeletons in our closet!! On other thought that might get too scary….How about instead we just talk about our own skeletal system.
Your Skeletal system is comprised of all the individual & fused bones in your body, the tendons, cartilage and ligaments supporting your bones and even your teeth although they are not technically bones. Kinda B***S*** if you ask me. I think teeth just got a free ride. Free-loaders. Back on track; your body has exactly 206 bones that make up two portions of your skeletal system, the Axial System & Appendicular System.
Did you know that when you were born you had roughly over 300 bones?! By the time you were nine many of those fused together and left you with the 206 you have today???
The Axial System
The Axial System is 80 bones that make up your skull, ribs & vertebral column. Starting at the skull, which includes 28 bones is our brains primary means of protection. the bones of the skull were originally seperated which allows a newborn to pass through the birth canal but they fuse shortly after (Unless your parents didn’t love you). Here is a pic of all the bones that comprise your cranium. Next your skull sits on your vertebral column which is separated into five distinct areas: The cervical region, the thoracic region, the lumbar region, sacrum & coccyx. the main function of our vertebral column is to protect our spinal cord which transmits information to and from the brain, as well as give us support. The final component to make up our axial system is our ribs. We have a total of 12 ribs; 7 true ribs, 3 false ribs and 2 floating ribs. each side of your rib cage is originates on the vertebral column and is then connected in the front by the sternum. This is your breast plate essentially. Our Axial system gives us the ability not only to protect our vital organs, but also to evenly transfer the load into our lower extremities allowing us to have an upright posture which is unique to our species.
The Appendicular system comprises 126 bones that make up our upper and lower extremities as well as our pelvis & shoulder girdles. the appendicular system protects our vital organs & also our axial system. This system is also what gives us the ability to walk, run, jump, twist, turn etc. With the development of our hands and feet giving us locomotion, articulation, proprioception, and many other cool functions is what makes humans so interesting!
Now that we have a basic understanding of what our skeletal system does lets discuss what actually makes up our bones and what they do.
Bones provide shape for the human body as well as protection but they also are storage ares for minerals as well as production facilities of red blood cells. There are three types of bone tissue: Compact, Cancellous & Subchondral. Compact bone makes up 80% of our skeletal system. This type of bone also referred to as cortical bone, is dense bone that has completely solidified with tiny spaces (lacunae) contain our bone cells (osteocytes). the other remaining 20% of our skeletal system is made up of Cancellous bone which is the spongy soft web-like bone where we find the majority of our bone marrow. Cancellous bone is usually surrounded by a shell of compact bone, which provides greater strength and rigidity. Our subchondral bone is found at our points of articulation in our joints and help provide support for cartilage.
Did you know that your hyoid bone located at the base of your jaw, which the tongue attaches to, is the only bone in your entire body that is not connected to another bone?? It stands all alone supported solely by muscles & ligaments!!
Bone marrow is the soft spongy tissue that lies within the hollow interior of long bones. We have two types of marrow; red marrow which produces our red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets, as well as yellow marrow which is mainly fat cells. Around the central bore of the bone or the central sinus lie the Mesenchymal stem cells. These cells have the capacity to form various cells of the body including osteoblasts (that form bones), chondrocytes (that form cartilage), myocytes (that form muscles) and other cells.
I know these is not a very in depth article on our skeletal system but I do hope I gave you a general overview on our skeletal system and what it does for us. With out it we would be amoebas. no structural support, no stability, no protection. A combination of those three, well That just sounds like an OC houswives’ worst nightmare.
12 min video on the human skeleton
Workout of the Day: 25 October 12
A) Bench Press 1RM in 20 minutes
B) 4 min AMRAP:
5 Handstand Pushups
*2 min rest*
4 min AMRAP:
5 Ring Dips